Sunday, February 27, 2011

SKUNKED.

Pearl, the lovely, gentle, petite husky who rules over this house, had an altercation with a skunk very late last night that left our house absolutely reeking. Her owner, my roommate Ken, had to take an important flight first thing this morning and tried to rinse her off around 2 AM, to absolutely no effect, and then skedaddled with his be-skunked suitcase and all.  So, Ms. E and I combined hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap according to a recipe found online and wrestled the stinky beast into the bathtub for her libations. Half an hour later, she was much improved, but we've had all the windows open all day and all the doors open... except Ken's, because during the night and morning, Pearl had been confined in there to try to lessen her effect on the rest of the house. So his room is still a danger zone, but the rest of the house is becoming more livable.

I even turned shaman and bound up some of Ms E's dried lavender into a smudge, lit it on fire and wafted the smoke convincingly around the house. It helped a lot, and was a bit more pleasant than Febreeze.  Pearl has been quite self-pitying all day, although after her bath she actually seemed very relieved!

A sum up of my day in etsy finds:

The Stinker!
Husky looking so innocent

That smells!
Part of the solution
  

The cleanser

Open all the windows!

              

Here's hoping it fades sooooon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek, no fun! We've got four dogs and four cats, and usually during the summer at least one of them gets "skunked", so I know what you mean by the stink! :) Hope you get the smell out soon!

DeSantis Vintage said...

Yowza! I'm sorry to hear about your roommates dog, that's the pits. I've never had it happen to me personally, but I've also heard that ketchup is a good skunk odor neutralizer...but just about anything is an odor neutralizer as there are bounds of claims all over the internet from mayonnaise to toothpaste. Anyways, I digress, I wanted to thank you for your sweet comment and I'm happy to be a follower of your blog as well.

Stay Glamorous!
Rachel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...